Summer is the perfect time for salads!
What’s not to love about salads? They’re delicious, nutritious, versatile, and easy to prepare. You can make them as simple or elaborate as you want, and the combinations of ingredients are endless.
Great salads begin with fresh ingredients. Buy local produce from your neighbors’ vegetable stands and farmers’ markets. Check out some of our favorites: Poplar Ridge Farm, Commonwealth Farms, Lila’s Garden, and a great online resource, localharvest.org.
Once you purchase your fruits and vegetables, learn how to keep them fresh and contaminant-free with these Food Safety Basics for Fruits and Vegetables from the Centers for Disease Control.
Experiment with your salads and have fun trying new recipes. Select a variety of colorful fruits, vegetables, cheese, meat, nuts, and beans to create salads that are healthy and satisfying.
Here are some of our favorite types of salads.
SAVORY POTATO SALADS
- Potato Salad Recipes
- 14 Tasty Potato Salad Recipes-Southern Living
- Potato Salad Recipes-Taste of Home
- Potato Salad Recipes-Food Network
- 22 Potato Salad Recipes-Coking Light
REFRESHING FRUIT SALADS
- Fruit Salad Recipes
- Fruit Salad Recipes-Food Network
- 9 Fresh Fruit Salad Recipes-Southern Living
- 16 Ideas for Amazing Fruit Salads
- 11 Quick and Easy Fruit Salad Recipes
TRADITIONAL GREEN SALADS
- Mixed Greens Salad Recipes
- A Visual Guide to Salad Greens
- 10 Quick and Easy Green Salad Recipes
- 17 New Ways to Enjoy Leafy Greens
HEARTY BEAN SALADS
SATISFYING PASTA SALADS
- Summer Pasta Salad Recipes
- Pasta Salad Recipes
- 29 Pasta Salads to Chill Out With This Summer
- Easy Pasta Salad Recipes-Southern Living
- Pasta Salads-Taste of Home
- 14 Perfect Pasta Salads