Apples are in season right now! They are easy to eat as a quick snack and can be used in a wide variety of recipes.
According to the North Carolina Department of Agriculture, the most commonly grown apple varieties in NC include: Red Delicious, Rome Beauty, Golden Delicious, Stayman, Granny Smith, Gala, Jonagold, Gingergold, Fuji, Crispin/Mutsu, Goldrush, Honeycrisp, Empire, and Pink Lady.
Here are some fun and easy ways to enjoy this apple season.
- Visit your local apple orchard. This is a wonderful way to kick-start Autumn. It’s also a great way to introduce children to the wonders of fresh produce.
- Stop in to Dressler’s and try our delicious apple desserts. Our apple crisp features sweet cinnamon apples with crispy butter crumb topping and vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel. Mom’s unforgettable apple cake is served with caramel and ice cream.
- Make applesauce. Homemade applesauce couldn’t be any easier. Peel and core apples and place them in a large pot with some water to boil. Cook until the desired texture. Add cinnamon and sugar or leave it completely natural. Cool and store in the refrigerator.
- Bake them. Transform your fresh apples into pies, crisps, and cobblers. Your friends and family will love them and your home will smell amazing.
- Preserve them. Learn how to make apple butter, apple jam, and apple jelly so you can enjoy that fresh apple taste throughout the winter.
- Have fun with your kids. Kids love everything about apples, from doing crafts with them to making delicious snacks.
- Decorate your home. Apples are simply beautiful arranged in a bowl on your dining room table or kitchen counter. You can even carve them out to hold candles.
- Share them! Making an apple treat at home? Why not prepare an extra one for an elderly neighbor or a friend/relative who could use a little TLC? This simple act of kindness makes you feel wonderful and is a great way to begin the season.