Garlic is an indispensable food in the kitchen. It is a bulb whose close relatives include onions, shallots, leeks, and chives. When used in cooking, garlic adds intense flavor and aroma to many of our favorite dishes.
Did you know that garlic has numerous practical and unexpected uses outside of the kitchen? According to 12 Unusual Uses for Garlic and 20 Unusual Uses for Garlic, here are some other surprising uses for garlic:
- Good Health: Garlic contains phyto-nutrients that are known to help protect your body from heart disease, infections, and cancer. 11 Proven Health Benefits of Garlic
- Acne Fighter: The antibacterial properties found in garlic cloves may help to clear up your complexion. Simply slice open a clove of raw, fresh garlic and apply it to breakouts.
- Cold Sore Relief: Cut a clove of garlic in half and apply it directly to the sore.
- Athlete’s Foot: Garlic is a natural antifungal. Crush a few cloves and toss them in a foot bath filled with warm water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Pesticide: Mince three garlic cloves and let them sit in two tablespoons of mineral oil for 24 hours. Then strain out the garlic and add the oil, along with a teaspoon of liquid dish soap, to a pint of water in a spray bottle. Spray on infested plants.
- Repair Glass: Rub the sticky juice of a crushed clove of garlic onto hairline cracks, wiping away an excess liquid. Garlic is a natural adhesive, so it’ll help the glass to stay together and prevent any further damage.
- De-Iceer: Garlic salt is effective for de-icing roads, sidewalks, and other icy surfaces.
- Natural Cleaner: Chop up 3-4 cloves of garlic, and toss them in a spray bottle filled with white vinegar. Add a couple drops of lemon oil.
- Fish Bait: Many fisherman report that garlic can attract catfish, carp, trout, and bass. Marshmallows or dough balls made from a mixture of crackers and cat food are coated with crushed or powdered garlic and placed on a hook to lure the fish with its scent.
- Cough Syrup: Steep raw, minced garlic in hot water, straining it after five minutes. Add ginger and honey as needed.