It’s no secret that we love fresh food at Dressler’s Restaurants.
That’s because we believe that fresh ingredients are the difference between food that is humdrum and food that is extraordinary.
Fresh, local fruit is nutritious, affordable, easy-to-prepare, and delicious.
Listed below are 10 fun and tasty ways to make the most of this Summer’s fruit. Enjoy!
2. Go berry picking. This is a great family activity and a wonderful way to teach children where their food comes from. See PickYourOwn.org-NC
4. Here’s an interesting idea from Tim Buchanan. Buy liquor. Buy a watermelon. Cut a hole in the watermelon. Fill with liquor. Wait–cut up the watermelon and enjoy in the backyard kiddie pool with the sprinkler running.
7. Make (and eat) pie. Your home smells amazing when there is a pie cooking in the oven. Making homemade pie dough takes a little practice but is still fairly easy. Basic pie dough requires only 4 ingredients (flour, salt, shortening, and water). The crust is the most difficult part. Filling the pie couldn’t be easier: Combine your favorite fresh fruit with just a few added ingredients like sugar, butter, salt, and spices. See How to Make Pie Dough.
8. Create a fruit parfait. Parfaits are fun to create and look fancy without a lot of work. Start with glass jars or clear glasses so you can see the colorful layers. Then simply layer your favorite fruits with whipped cream or yogurt. 9 Irresistible Parfait Recipes
9. Add fruit to your Summer salads. Fresh fruit brings flavor, texture, and color to salads. Traditional fruit salads are another Summertime favorite because they are light, refreshing, and healthy. See 7 Fruity Summer Salads, 9 Fresh Fruit Salad Recipes and Add Fresh Fruit to Green Salads.
10. Don’t forget the adult beverages. Summertime adult beverages beg for fresh fruit, both as a garnish as well as the main ingredient. Sangrias, mojitos, margaritas, piña coladas, and daiquiris taste best with fresh fruit. Check out these Summer Fruit Cocktails and Summer Drinks & Cocktail Recipes.