Are you hosting a dinner party during the holidays? Dinner parties are meant to be fun, not stressful. The key to a successful dinner party is being prepared and organized so you will be able to enjoy a wonderful evening with family and friends.
Here are some dinner party planning tips to help you get started.
- Make your guest list and decide on a reasonable number, whatever that may be for you. Be sure to include people that you really want to spend time with and try to choose guests that will get along with each other.
- Choose a serving style–sit-down, buffet, or cocktail party. This will help determine the types of food you will be serving your guests.
- Plan your menu. This includes beverages, appetizers, soup/salad, main course, side dishes, and desserts. Choose foods that you love to prepare and eat! This makes the entire process a lot more enjoyable. Be aware of any food allergies/restrictions that your guests may have.
- Plan ahead. Go grocery shopping and clean your house several days before your party so you can focus on preparing the food. Set the table or arrange the buffet station. Make sure the table linens are ready. Set the coffee maker so it is ready to brew just before dessert. Set up a beverage station so guests can help themselves. Dishes that can be prepared in advance are great time-savers.
- Set the mood for a festive and relaxing evening with soft lighting, great music, and plenty of seating. Add some fresh flowers and candles to your traditional holiday decor.
- Get yourself ready an hour before guests are due to arrive.
- Pour yourself a glass of wine, greet your guests, and enjoy the party!